Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Trying to Get Into the Spirit

The holiday season is upon us, but today I am having a hard time getting into the spirit. I am doing things that I always do at this time of year, i.e. grading final exams, preparing for Christmas programs at historic sites, decorating the house, etc. However, no matter how much decorating I do, how many Christmas cards I write, or how much Christmas music I listen to, it is hard to get into the spirit of the season when the temps are in the mid-70s and I am wearing shorts. I guess its a good damn thing I don't live in Florida or some other such place. I'm sure all you folks up north who have already had a couple of snows this year are cussing me right now, but damn it, it isn't supposed to be 75 in December! At any rate, I think Mother Nature will take care of all this for me in rather short order as the temps are supposed to be a good 20 degrees cooler starting tomorrow.

This weekend's activities should also help get me in the spirit. We will be partaking in our annual tradition of Colonial Christmas at Historic Halifax. As always, we will be set up in the Tap Room at the historic site, with some form of holiday refreshments, tavern games, and of course the usual swivel gun and musket demonstrations throughout the day. Some of our members will march in the town's Christmas parade as well. We always have a ton of fun at this program and if you find yourself in or traveling through northeastern NC this Saturday, you should stop on by Historic Halifax. Its a short six mile drive off of I-95 and well worth the time.

Now, back to grading final exams, putting up a Christmas tree, and maybe getting some of those cards done!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I'm having a bit of trouble with the holiday spirit as well. I blame it on the fact that I can't really decorate or do much of anything until my final and that last paper are turned in. Sigh. I should get back to it, huh?