Monday, October 8, 2018

Recently Acquired Reading

To steal a theme from Kevin Levin's Civil War Memory blog, here are a few recently acquired titles in my library.

I received a copy of Joan Cashin's latest, War Stuff: The Struggle for Human and Environmental Resources in the American Civil War from the publisher. I hope to start at least perusing it after I finish Steven Hahn's A Nation Without Borders: The United States and It's World in an Age of Civil Wars, 1830-1910, which I've been working my way through for a few weeks.


I also recently picked up a copy of a book that I'm way past due to read, Confederate Slave Impressment in the Upper South by my UNC-Pembroke colleague Jaime Martinez.


Finally, I purchased a copy of This Day in North Carolina History compiled by Ansley Herring Wegner and Jeff Miles, and published by the NC Office of Archives and History. This coffee table volume began as a daily blog of the NC Department of Cultural Resources that ran for three years. Many folks within the Department, myself included, contributed to that blog regularly, and thereby contributed to this published volume that resulted from it. Certainly not a cover-to-cover reader, but an interesting book to have in the collection.

No comments: