Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day 2008

I voted this morning. I was in line at 6:30 a.m. when the polls opened and I was still 33rd in my precinct to cast their ballot. Unlike my wife, I didn't get off my behind and do the early voting thing. Call me a traditionalist, but I like to vote on Election Day. I also hadn't really made up my mind who I was voting for in our county commissioner race, so I had to do a little more research. I had an interesting, yet frustrating conversation with my stepdaughter about the whole process. She hates politics, and would rather talk about anything but the election. She says she will never vote, and that she generally trusts everyone else's judgement when it comes to such things (this from the child who is skeptical, even paranoid about most everything). I have to remind myself that she is an almost-15 year old, freshman in high school and maybe she'll grow out of her apathy. Then again, she has sort of a general "I don't give a sh**" attitude about pretty much everything so I don't know. With a mother and stepfather who are both historians, you'd think that she would at the very least appreciate the historic moment that this election will be (no matter what the outcome). Then again she hates history. Go figure.

Anyway, I hope everyone exercised their right to vote, no matter who you cast your ballot for. I try to make sure I am well informed about state and local races as well as the national scene so that I can make informed, educated decisions. I wish everyone was so conscientious, but that's what makes this country great; none of us has to do anything we don't want to.

No comments: