Sunday, January 1, 2012

What Lies Ahead?

So here we are on the first day of 2012, and I'm thinking of the incredibly busy first half of the year ahead. It is going to be a generally busy year overall, but the first five or six months are shaping up to be extremely challenging from a scheduling standpoint. While I can't list every single thing that's already on my schedule, here are a few highlights coming up in the next few months:

*147th anniversary, Second Battle of Fort Fisher, all Navy/Marine living history weekend on January 21-22

*Civil War Naval Symposium, Mariner's Museum, Virginia coinciding with 150th anniversary of the Monitor-Virginia battle on March 9-10. I will be presenting a panel session focusing on North Carolina built Confederate ironclads with two friends.

*150th anniversary, Battle of Fort Macon reenactment on April 21-22.

*OpSail 2012, Norfolk, VA/War of 1812 living history at Fort Norfolk on June 9-10.

*War of 1812 Bicentennial kickoff symposium, Beaufort, NC on June 25-26.

The events I've listed here are only the major, once in a lifetime type of events; it certainly does not include events and programs that I participate annually. On the college front, I'll be teaching a class I've never taught before (Western Civilization II) which means I'll have to sharpen my focus on that. Add to all this that my wife is transitioning into a new job, which will undoubtedly bring changes on the homefront and the next few months are going to be not only busy, but very interesting. Welcome to the new year!

1 comment:

Brandie Cline said...

Here's to hoping I don't work the weekend of the Fort Macon 150th - I'd love to take my Dad!