Saturday, August 20, 2011

Busy Week (and things aren't going to slow down)

A week ago yesterday the doctor told me to take the walking boot off and start wearing a regular shoe again. I have to say the first few hours of wearing a shoe, after three months of not wearing one, felt kind of weird. I still have to do some physical therapy, I still have some swelling and pain, but the doctor says I should be 100% within another month or so.

I tested things out right away, spending a weekend on the Battleship USS North Carolina in Wilmington. Our living history group did a Civil War living history there on Saturday and saw over 1,500 visitors come through. We also spent two nights aboard "The Showboat" which was really fun.

Fall semester classes at both colleges started this week, so I've been busy answering student emails, adding students who registered late, and doing all manner of administrative work that has to be done at the start of a semester. So far things seem to be going well and hopefully that will continue for the next three and a half months.

Things will really start picking up both at work and on the living history front over the next six weeks or so; be on the lookout for lots of posts from me in the next couple of months. Next weekend will kick it all off, as I'm headed to Cape Hatteras with the artillery crew from Fort Fisher to help commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Hatteras. We'll actually be doing artillery demonstrations on the ground of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, which should make for some really cool photo ops!

No comments: