Tuesday, December 28, 2010

What Lies Ahead for 2011?

Admittedly, 2010 turned out to be a much busier year than I expected. In these last few days of December I am starting to think ahead to what 2011 will hold. There are a lot of things on the list at work, to be sure. With the state budget in bad shape there's only so much we're able to do, but we do the best we can with limited resources; this trend will definitely continue into the foreseeable future. Aside from that there's plenty to look forward to.

I'm hopeful that I'll get to attend a number of conferences in 2011, including ALHFAM, AASLH, and the Civil War Sesquicentennial conferences in North Carolina and Virginia. I've submitted a session proposal to AASLH, which would make it even more fun if my proposal is accepted.

I'm also looking forward to a good year of living history. We have a good number of events on our calendar, fairly evenly distributed amongst the time periods that we portray. Nothing should get too dull. Plus, we are embarking on a new endeavor with a group called the Craven Regiment. This new group is a collection of living history interpreters from three or four different units that have formed a loose association to portray North Carolina militia at 18th century events. It is a promising collaboration.

Of course, 2011 is the first of a busy five year cycle that has just begun with the opening of the Civil War Sesquicentennial. Some years will be much busier than others with Sesquicentennial events and War of 1812 Bicentennial events (for instance, 2012 is going to be brutal for us), but 2011 will slowly ease us into this commemoration wave. I even had someone recently ask me what I thought North Carolina might do to commemorate the centennial of World War I. My answer: since US involvement in that conflict didn't start until 1917, we've got plenty of time to think about it.

I hope you have all had a great 2010, a restful and joyous holiday, and wish you all the happiest of New Years in 2011!

1 comment:

Jim said...

Hi Andrew. It was fun looking through you site. You rekindled my interest in the Civil War. I was telling some friends who recently moved here to Harrisburg,PA about our Civil War museum. I have had a chance to tour the Gettysburg battlefield several times with my family.

I also notice you have some Steelers website links on your site. I run www.steelers-fan.com and would love to know what you you think of it. Anyway there sure a lot to learn about the Civil War and your site is a good resource.