Thursday, December 16, 2010

So Here I Am.......

.....two weeks since my last post. I am home today because I am working on end of semester type things like grading final exams and answering ridiculous student emails. Grades will be turned in at one college today and at the other on Monday. This is the latest in the year I've ended a semester since I started this adjunct instructor thing back in the fall of 2000. On the surface it kind of sucks, but in actuality it was helpful to me this year because my schedule the first two weeks of December was pretty hectic.

So, as for the ridiculous emails, let me explain. The class whose grades are being turned in today were given a final exam deadline of midnight last night and of course over half of them went late into the evening finishing up their exams. I went to bed about 10:00 p.m. as per my usual. When I checked email this morning (knowing I would have frantic and in some cases idiotic emails awaiting) I was not disappointed. I had a student who said they had a problem with their final exam not posting correctly that had sent me four frantic emails between 12:30 and 1:00 a.m. Their main concern was formatting, saying that when they copied from Word onto the Blackboard platform things weren't formatted correctly and they desperately needed to change things, so could I reopen their exam. I went and looked at the exam in question and saw nothing at all wrong with, so I went ahead and graded it. The person not only got an A on the exam, but an A in the class, making their frantic emails even that much more hilarious to me. In my email reply I stated that I sincerely hoped they had gotten some sleep last night and that if they emailed me after 10:00 p.m. they should not expect an immediate response. Sometimes I wish everyone in my classes would be frantically insane A students like that one.

Once this end of semester business is over with I certainly have some catching up to do on the blog. I still have to write an entry for the CSS Neuse living history that is now almost a month behind us, as well as an 18th century small arms certification class, a colonial Christmas program, and a conference I attended. Y'all bear with me for now.

No comments: