Monday, October 25, 2010

Busy Times

Last week I spent three days on the road, interpreting two time periods. On Thursday and Friday, I was at Brunswick Town helping with the site's Colonial Heritage Days school program. All the 4th graders in Brunswick County attend and go through various stations including cooking, candle making, blacksmithing, woodworking, colonial militia, and crime & punishment. I was assigned to work the crime & punishment station this year and got to talk to the kids about how the law was administered in colonial times. Of course they all got to take their turns in the stocks and the pillories. There were some kids I think could have benefited from some time in there.

On Saturday, my friend John Moseley and I set up a small maritime display for Fort Fisher's fall civilian living history program. I portrayed a blockade runner and talked to visitors about military goods that came into NC through the port of Wilmington during the Civil War. John portrayed a Union sailor on blockade duty and explained period navigation, particularly in the tricky waters of the lower Cape Fear. Attendance was light by Fort Fisher standards, but it was a nice program and we had a lot of fun. There was also something very interesting going on with the artillery demonstrations that day, but more about that later.

No comments: