Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Back to the 18th Century This Weekend

I've been doing a lot of jumping back and forth from 18th to 19th century events this spring. The progression goes something like 2 Civil War, 1 Rev War, 1 Civil War, 1 F&I War, and 3 Civil War. Now I am heading back into the 18th century (1771 to be exact) as the Craven Regiment of Governor Tryon's militia once again takes the field. We will be participating in the annual anniversary commemoration of the Battle of Alamance, in which Governor William Tryon and his militia (mostly from eastern North Carolina) marched west to put down a "rebellion" of backcountry farmers who were protesting taxes and government corruption. I'm not sure how many of us will be in attendance, but I'm thinking we will have somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 or 9 guys. Alamance is, in my opinion, an underappreciated historic site. That all should change however, as the Division is undertaking a revision and update of the site's interpretation, exhibits, and wayside signage. This should all make for a fun and relaxing weekend.

1 comment:

Michael W. said...

Hey Leonidas!

I will miss you guys this weekend but I figure that you will as always carry the colors forward. Be sure and give Bryan a big smooch for me, hear?