Monday, February 15, 2010

NC's Latest Public Education Controversy

I've been following this mainly via Facebook, but the group now has a blog through WordPress and I thought I'd provide a link here. I won't go into too much detail, but will allow you to take a look at this website to understand what's going on. Basically, there is a proposal in the Dept. of Public Instruction that would vastly curtail the teaching of US and NC history, especially in the higher grades. This would be a terrible move on the part of DPI and has produced, for lack of a better term, a shitstorm (a favorite idiom of my friends Brandie and James) amongst the academic community. Take a look.

http://realhistoryreform.org/


UPDATE: This issue may have been resolved. We'll have to wait until April to see what they've come up with, but apparently the shitstorm had some effect. Read the article in the Raleigh News & Observer.

No comments: