Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Departure from the Reading List

If you take a look at my current reading list on the right of the page, you will see a new book at the top of the list. I just received this one from History Book Club and decided to read it right away in the spirit of the season. The book is James W. Baker's Thanksgiving: The Biography of an American Holiday. Baker, a native of Plymouth, Massachusetts and Director of Research at the popular historic site, Plimoth Plantation, recounts the history of this distinctively American holiday, including how it came to be and how it has evolved. Through the first three chapters the book is very enjoyable and informative, so I'm plowing on through. As many of you will already know, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday so how could I resist this book? A number of years ago I read a history of Christmas, and this book seems like a nice companion.

No comments: