Friday, October 23, 2009

Honoring One of Fort Fisher's Heroes

Tomorrow morning my friend Don Smith and I will hit the road to Wilmington for a grave marker dedication. The subject of the marker is Major James Reilly, commander of Co. D, 10th North Carolina and later second in command at Fort Fisher. Don and I will be on the cannon crew from Fort Fisher when the ceremonial rounds are fired. This will all take place in Wilmington's historic Oakdale Cemetery. A press release concerning tomorrow's program can be found HERE. There are many historic characters of Wilmington's past buried in this cemetery, including Major General W.H.C. Whiting, who commanded the Confederate Cape Fear District for much of the war, Confederate spy Rose O'Neal Greenhow, and Captain Joseph Price, third and final commander of the Confederate ironclad CSS Neuse. I normally don't do a lot of programs such as this, but because of the connections to Fort Fisher I decided to go. And besides, I haven't been to visit Capt. Price lately.

No comments: