Thursday, September 17, 2009

Back to the Grind

Yesterday was my first day back at work and now that I've gotten everything caught up I figured I should make a blog post. The event at Fort McHenry was very good, despite some spotty weather. The kindness of the reenacting community never ceases to amaze me. Due to rain all day Friday it was impossible to set up tents, so one of our compatriots from Maryland allowed me and my two shipmates to bunk at his house for the evening. That was much appreciated! Mist and drizzle most of the day Saturday couldn't put a damper on the activities, and cleared out before the big evening program started. The evening program was simply spectacular and Sunday was a gorgeous day. I had a lot of fun, met a lot of new folks, and reacquainted with some that I hadn't seen in a while.Photo of me waiting for formation to be called (taken by Vince Wilding, Ship's Company, USS Contellation)

I also had fun on Monday, spending the day in Johnstown, PA with my friend Gregory. He took me to an excellent museum, the Johnstown Heritage Discover Center. If you are ever in the Johnstown area it is well worth it to go. He also took me to the National Park Service's Johnstown Flood Memorial, which is also very nice. I had previously visited the Johnstown Flood Museum in downtown Johnstown, so it was nice to get a comparison. I was also able to acquire some new Steelers gear for the new season, as well as some Iron City beer for game days throughout the fall. I got to see most of my mom's family while there, including my two cousins from Pittsburgh. All in all, it was a great trip, but I'm glad to be back.

No comments: