Sunday, June 7, 2009

ALHFAM Update 2

Today was really great. I have made some really cool new friends, including two from Texas, two from Canada, one from Louisiana, and one from Germany (yeah, that's right, GERMANY). I've also started to realize that living history is a very small world because I'm meeting people who know other people that I know through different organizations, etc. I've met a couple of former NC DCR employees who have moved on to other endeavors as well. I guess it really is kind of a close knit community.

The keynote speaker today was excellent. Dr. Robert Morgan, an English professor from Cornell University, gave the talk. The topic was his recent book about Daniel Boone. His stories were fascinating and his insights into historians, their craft, and what Boone's life says about American culture were superb. It was really an excellent presentation.

The rest of the day was devoted to military history, including a session on how to get the most out of your relationship with reenactors and a military history Professional Interest Group meeting. I got to meet some really cool folks in both of those sessions.

This evening there was a bluegrass concert on the grounds of Old Salem, along with more music and colonial games in the tavern. Afterwards, it was a few drinks in the hotel bar with my new friends, and now here I am, getting ready to turn in and rest up for tomorrow, which is an entire day on the Old Salem grounds with lots of planned activities and tours. Should be lots of fun.

No comments: