Friday, January 16, 2009

Reading Something Slightly Different

If you take a look at the "What I'm Currently Reading" section on the right hand side of the blog page, you will see something very different - a book that is not in the military history genre. I had to take a break from that kind of stuff for a little while and absorb a lot of what I've read over the past month. So, to give my brain a break, I'm reading Jack Larkin's The Reshaping of Everyday Life: 1790-1840. Yes, that's right, I'm reading a bit of "the new social history"..........that was a joke, people! I am not so antiquated and old-fashioned in my way of thinking; I just like saying "the new social history." It just sounds cool, you know. I remember when I was in grad school (1996-99), everytime I heard someone use that term I thought to myself, "damn, its been around for about 30 years now; when will it no longer be new?" So here's my hat tip to (say it with me one more time) "the new social history."

3 comments:

Court said...

I can't wait for an "Anti-Social" history movement to begin...just sayin'

Jessica said...

I loved social history, but then again I stopped at a minor in history. hmmmm.......

Jim Steele said...

Court is on to something, let's have some anti-social history. I'm not really sure what it would be, but I love the name. I read Larkin's book in school, thought it first-rate. I also read Richard Bushman's "The Refinement of America" around the same time, also excellent. He explores the fusion of genteel culture with a work ethic and democracy to create the respectable middle class. Very good insights into antebellum American mentalities. It is heavy stuff, but worth a look and good material for development of a living history impression.