Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Brain Hurts....

....and this is why. Undoubtedly some of you are familiar with Marc Kruman's book, Parties and Politics in North Carolina, 1836-1865. I've been reading the section of the book that deals with the years 1844-1850. I'm trying to explain differences between North Carolina Whigs and Democrats over issues such as the organization of the Oregon Territory, annexation of Texas, Mexican War, and the territories acquired as a result of that war, in relation to the defense of slavery and southern rights. Oh yeah, and I have to write it in such a way that 8th graders can understand it! That's why my brain hurts. Anybody have any suggestions?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I move that you write it in chart format.

NCMeekins said...

You are in good company. That book hurts many a brain. Its a good book but it certainly brings the heat over and over again.

No suggestions, just sympathy.

Andrew Duppstadt said...

Chris,
It's not so much the book itself that hurts, but the act of attempting to dumb it down to an
8th grade level. Thanks for the sympathy.