Sunday, January 4, 2009

Another Book Down and the End of the Holiday Break

Today is the final day of my holiday break, which was longer this year (15 days) than it has been recently. Tomorrow I head back to the office and later this week I will also start spring semester classes at the colleges where I teach. So the nose is headed back to the old grindstone, and soon!

This morning I managed to complete my second book in the past week, The Drillmaster of Valley Forge by Paul Lockhart. While I don't feel qualified to evaluate this book within the context of Rev War historiography, I feel very comfortable recommending this book to anyone interested in the topic. As with the Gus Fox biography, this book is very well-written, places it's subject within the context of events, and is readable and enjoyable. The author definitely is a defender of Steuben, and writes passionately to that end. Next on the reading list is The Rifle Musket in Civil War Combat by Earl Hess. I am really looking forward to this book, which has already garnered much critical acclaim. Of course, since it's back to work this week, the reading pace will probably be much slower.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Can't we just stay on break, and keep reading?