Monday, September 1, 2008

New Addition to the Blog Roll

You will notice on my blog roll that I have added one titled Ryan's Scotland Blog. My cousin Ryan, a sophomore at Carlow University in Pittsburgh, is embarking on a semester abroad (a requirement of all Carlow students, I believe) in Scotland. Ryan's oldest sister, a Carlow alum, did her semester in Italy a few years back. Ryan will be attending the University of Stirling and will keep a travel blog of his experiences. Luckily, I will get to spend some time with Ryan this week, prior to his departure.

2 comments:

Eric Wittenberg said...

Andrew,

When did Carlow become (a) a university and (b) co-ed?

When I was a student in Pittsburgh in the mid-80's, it was still Carlow College, and it was all women, mostly nursing students.

Eric

Andrew Duppstadt said...

Eric,
I don't know the answer to your first question regarding university status for Carlow, though I believe it is recent. My eldest cousin started there six years ago and it was still called Carlow College. She's now in grad school at Duquesne (literature department).

I do know that Carlow went co-ed, at least nominally, about three years ago. It is still overwhelmingly female, probably 95% or more. Not a bad deal for a young college guy. Ryan had knowledge of the school and a lot of the faculty through his sister, so it seemed like a good fit for him. I don't know that there are any male "resident" students; they probably all live off-campus as my cousin does. He and his sister share a house in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood, not far from the campus.