Thursday, August 14, 2008

New Projects

Since my colleague Chris Graham left us last month to pursue a new academic route, I have taken on some of his former responsibilities. Check out Chris' blog linked above to see how he's making the transition to his new academic duties.

Anyway, one of the things I picked up from him is the Historic Clothing Committee, a group that works to ensure folks at our sites have the best knowledge available to them towards developing accurate and authentic historic portrayals through costuming. Involvement with this group should help to explain my recent rants against the Pyrates of the world (if you haven't read that banter in my previous post you are really missing something).

Another thing I picked up was Chris' spot on the Vance Birthplace reinterpretation committee. We are working to develop a revised and fresh interpretation at Vance, one of my favorite historic sites. There will not only be new exhibits, which are sorely needed, but also a film and adjustments to the tours that are given of the house and outbuildings on the site. I sat in on my first meeting yesterday and though it means I now have a lot of work to do in catching up, I am excited about the prospects. This also means that my pleasurable reading, which has been difficult to start with, will now have to take a back seat to two Zeb Vance biographies. See the links in the sidebar under What I'm Currently Reading for more info. This is going to be a challenging new adventure for me and I'm ready to go!

No comments: