Wednesday, March 12, 2008

National Museum of the Marine Corps



On my return from Annapolis on Sunday I decided to stop in Quantico, VA and take in the National Museum of the Marine Corps. My dad is a retired Marine who served from 1955 to 1975 including three tours in Vietnam. I was born at Camp Lejeune, which is now the largest Marine Corps base on the east coast. I have always been interested in the history of the Corps, but more from an 18th and 19th century standpoint. Unfortunately, that is the period of the Corps' history that is underrepresented. The same applies for this museum. It is a tremendous museum and I was thoroughly impressed, but there is almost no coverage given to anything the Corps did prior to World War I. I understand the reasons for this, but if they do not at some point incorporate exhibits dealing with the first century of the Corps' existence I will be sorely disappointed. The closest I got to the 18th century was having lunch in the recreated Tun Tavern, birthplace of the Corps.
Still, it is a fabulous experience, and one that was very emotional for me. Unfortunately my dad's health is not such that he will be able to go see this place, but my mom wants to go some day. I'm certainly willing to return.

No comments: