Friday, February 1, 2008

Book Notes

First of all, let me begin by saying that this blog will not turn into another Civil War Books and Authors; Andrew Wagenhoffer does a fine job on that blog and I enjoy reading it frequently. However, from time to time I do like to discuss books and related themes. So, if you'll indulge me, here we go....

This week I received a review copy of How the South Could Have Won the Civil War by Bevin Alexander. I normally don't read a lot of the "could have, would have, might have, etc." type books out there. I haven't decided whether I will give this one a thorough read or not, but it sure won't be anytime soon because I have too many other projects going on right now. I'll let you know my thoughts on this book if and when I have time to examine it, but feel free to check it out if you are interested.

What I am reading right now (if you'll look on my blog's side bar) is a book about the Union Navy's Mississippi Squadron. This is for a book review for Civil War Book Review. In case you are interested, their Winter 2008 edition was just put up on the web. My review will appear in the Spring 2008 edition and I'll be sure to put an announcement up when it is viewable.

Finally, I have another publication coming out in the Winter 2008 edition of History News which is a publication of the American Association for State and Local History. I co-authored an article about planning commemmorations for this publication and I am happy that is finally about to appear; it has been almost two years in the process.

That's all for now. Happy reading everyone!

2 comments:

DW@CWBA said...

Never too much talk about books. I would love to hear more about the various NC works that you find worthy, esp. the obscure ones.

Andrew Duppstadt said...

Interesting that you should bring this up Drew. As part of the planning for the Civil War Sesquicentennial, one of my colleagues has been tasked with putting together a suggested reading list of Civil War books, and there will certainly be a rather large part of that devoted to North Carolina. I'll have to send you updates as that project progresses, but I'm glad I'm not the one doing it!