Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Last Program of the Year

This weekend will mark the year's final program for Ship's Company of the Roanoke, as we participate in the annual Civil War living history program at the CSS Neuse State Historic Site in Kinston. This is a program that I planned for the past six years prior to taking my current position. This is the first year that I haven't been the primary organizer, though I have helped along the way. I suppose it will be a bit different for me because rather than worrying about the program as a whole I only have to concern myself with one or two facets. It should be a nice break, but it has been and will continue to be a little bit hard to let go of something that I grew over the past six years. My first year we had about 35-40 reenactors and maybe 300 visitors. At the program's height we had 105 reenactors and 900 visitors. I don't think this year's numbers will be quite that good, but it is shaping up to be a nice turnout.
Cannon firing at a previous year's event.

We will also be having a unit meeting on Saturday evening and will be making some changes to our merry little band. It is very exciting to see how the group has grown in a little over three years and some of the new directions in which we are heading. More on all of that in a later post. So, if you are looking for something fun to do in eastern NC this weekend come on out to Kinston and check out the program!

2 comments:

Citizen Soldier said...

Hey Andrew this is Taylor I have a blog now. http://oldnorthstatesoldier.blogspot.com/

Andrew Duppstadt said...

Thanks for checking in Taylor. I'll add your blog to my list! If you feel like hanging out come on out to Kinston this weekend. Fort Fisher will be on January 12. Contact me off blog for more info. Just click my email tab.