Friday, November 9, 2007

A Few Days at Fort Fisher

Those of you who read this blog regularly may remember a post back in July about Fort Fisher. I have returned to the office after spending the past three days there, helping staff plan a program for January and conducting another artillery training course. I always enjoy my time at Fort Fisher and usually include a side trip or two to somewhere in Wilmington that I haven't been in a while. This trip was no different. Monday morning, prior to going to the site, I stopped at Davis and Son Tobacconists which is where I purchase all of my pipe tobacco and usually my cigars as well. It's always nice to see Tim Davis and his staff, and catch up on what's happening around the shop. They are the nicest folks you could ever meet and I enjoy spending time there. Monday afternoon I joined with a group of high school teachers and students, and college professors for a tour of Sugar Loaf. Sugar Loaf is located within Carolina Beach State Park, is the highest point in New Hanover County, and is the site of some of the best preserved Confederate earthworks in the area. The group taking the tour was the History Teaching Alliance and the tour was led by Dr. Chris Fonvielle of the UNCW History Department. Of course, I was Chris' teaching assistant when I was in grad school and he was the Best Man in our wedding, so I always take an opportunity to see him whenever possible. Though I was embarrassed to admit that it was my first time visiting Sugar Loaf, it was a great tour.

Tuesday and Wednesday were spent leading an artillery training session for five employees and volunteers. I love artillery and always enjoy a chance to teach people about it. Of course, the training also involves shooting so it's always fun. I continue to be impressed with the new staff at Fort Fisher and I am very pleased with the way things are going at that site. I really think that some of the previously untapped potential at that site is going to start to show through. As I've said before, Fort Fisher is a special place to me, and I'm excited that new life is being breathed into it.

4 comments:

RoadDog said...

Glad I came across your blog.

Fort Fisher was what got me interested in the Civil War way back in 1958.

Andrew Duppstadt said...

Well, if you are interested in the Civil War you should find some things of interest on the blog. I hope you'll keep checking back to see what's new.

Eric Wittenberg said...

I've had Chris' tour a bunch of times, but we just never seem to get to Sugar Loaf. I've really got to do so....

Eric

Andrew Duppstadt said...

Eric,
The tour to Sugar Loaf is quite impressive, not to mention pretty good exercise. Chris doesn't use the trail provided by the state park, but rather gets permission to go across private land on which is preserved some tremendous earthworks. It's well worth the trip!