Monday, September 3, 2007

Going to Atlanta

I will be heading to Atlanta on Wednesday morning to attend and give a presentation at the annual meeting of the American Association for State and Local History (AASLH). I attended the organization's annual meeting in 2005 in Pittsburgh, but missed last year because it was in Phoenix. Since its so close this year a number of Historic Sites folks are attending. For the past two years I have served as a member of the AASLH Military History Committee and have been selected to serve another two year term. This has allowed me to broaden my horizons in terms of networking with other history professionals on a national level, as opposed to a state and regional level. I'm looking forward to this conference; some of the highlights (at least for me) are as follows.

Plenary session by Dr. David Blight, author of Race and Reunion
Thursday evening reception at the Atlanta History Center (I've never been there)
Book discussion on Robert Penn Warren's The Legacy of the Civil War led by David Blight and Dwight Pitcaithley
Numerous sessions on the upcoming Civil War Sesquicentennial and related topics

It should prove to be an entertaining and educational few days. The downside for me is that I really do not like Atlanta. I've been to that city three or four times at different stages of my life and I've never liked it. Maybe this time will be different because I will be going with three people of have a vast knowledge of the city; somehow I don't think that's going to make a difference for me. I'll blog from the conference if possible (i.e. if I have time in the evenings or early morning). At the very least I will post a report upon my return.

No comments: