Thursday, September 6, 2007

Atlanta - Day Two

Today proved to be a very interesting one. The Educators and Interpreters Breakfast was pretty good, but not earth-shattering. There were really no sessions today that interested me. The keynote address by Cokie Roberts was very good. I was impressed by her outlook on history and thoroughly enjoyed her presentation. The exhibition hall was a happening place all day long and there are some very good vendors at the conference this year.

Our panel presentation on Making Military History Relevant to Diverse Audiences was well-attended and came off very well. I heard nothing but positive feedback from those who attended and have had numerous discussions with some of those people throughout the rest of the day and evening. A number of those who attended told me it was the best session they had been to so far. I'm glad that we apparently did so well.

The real highlight was this evening's reception at the Atlanta History Center. This is a fabulous facility and the hospitality we were shown there was awesome. I had always heard that their Civil War exhibit was one of the best in the country and that is certainly true. It is on par, if not better than the Museum of the Confederacy and Pamplin Park. I was quite impressed.

For me, the conference really begins tomorrow. There are a number of sessions I am looking forward to, including the Plenary Sesson with Dr. David Blight. I also look forward to more conversations with fellow military history colleagues, as well as new folks that I have yet to meet.

No comments: